- October 10, 2017
- Posted by: QuickBooks
- Category: Quickbooks
A QuickBooks Company file may not open for a number of reasons. It may have become damaged the last time it was in use, or it must have been damaged due to some form of corruption on your hard drive where the file is stored.
Other reasons include using the wrong version of QuickBooks, or issues with the location of the file such as access permissions, problems with the filename and file extension, or a conflicting QBW.tlg file are additional reasons why you might not be able to open the file.
QuickBooks won’t open, has stopped working
When you attempt to open QuickBooks Desktop, you see an error, or no error at all (nothing happens aka freezes or freezing). There are several possible causes for this issue.
- Your company name is too long.
- Damaged or missing a QBWUSER.INI file.
- Corruption on your hard drive.
- Damaged program files or QuickBooks Desktop installation.
- Damaged Windows operating system
How to Open QuickBooks When It Won’t Open
QuickBooks users need to restore a backup in QuickBooks, but they can’t get QuickBooks itself to open.
This can happen if your company file got damaged during your last session in the program. Perhaps the power went off and your computer turned off without closing out QuickBooks first, or there was a network hiccup or some other kind of hardware problem.
So the next time you run QuickBooks, QuickBooks automatically tries to open that data file. But if the company file is corrupted enough that it can’t be opened, then QuickBooks will give an error and shut down.
Steps to QuickBooks won’t open, has stopped working
Steps:1 Use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool to check and repair damaged windows components.
Steps:2 Reboot and temporarily disable your antivirus program.
- Reboot your computer.
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop. If the error persists, temporarily disable your antivirus.
- Note: Please refer to the antivirus’ developer for steps on how to disable your antivirus program.
steps:3 Rename the QBWUSER.ini file
- Rename the QBWUSER.ini file.
- Note: Renaming the QBWUSER.INI file erases the list of your previously opened company files so you will need to manually re-open your company file(s).
steps:4 Reinstall using a clean install
- See Reinstall using a clean install for detailed instructions.
Steps:5 Create a new Windows Admin User
- See Create a user account in Windows for detailed instructions.
- 1003139 / SLN42882
Users can dial our QuickBooks technical support number +1844-551-9757 to fix the any kind of QuickBooks error and from any QuickBooks Desktop version.